This book assesses the conceptualisation of international mission in the Methodist Church Ghana. It demonstrates that Ghanaian Methodists possess a robust ecclesiology with roots in the Akan concept of «abusua» and an evangelical theology rooted in John Wesley. The author gives interpretations to the ways mission takes place and proposes twelve models of mission whereby members of diasporic communities are agents of mission. As mission is seen a responsibility of the whole church, mission is a common theme related to the migration of Ghanaian Methodists to other contexts, often understood in terms of in the global North. The church’s presence in North America and Europe presents challenges and opportunities that must be negotiated in a broader Methodist mainline milieu.
Aboagye-Mensah, Robert Kwasi (1998), ‘The Church in the African State: the Protestant Experience in Ghana’, Journal of African Christian Thought, 1 (2), 42–50.
– (1999), ‘Ethnicity and the Gospel’, Journal of African Christian Thought, 2 (2), 18–21.
– (2006), ‘The Whole Church Takes the Whole Gospel to the Whole World: Goodwill Message from the Presiding Bishop to the 54th Connexional Conference of the Lay Movement Council’, The 54th Connexional Conference of the Lay Movement Council (Accra, Ghana: The Methodist Church Ghana).
– (2006), ‘An Address of the Presiding Bishop to the Representative Session of the 4th Biennial/42nd Conference of the Methodist Church Ghana held at Akyem Oda, from 22nd–27th August 2006’, Representative Session of the 4th Biennial/42nd Conference of the Methodist Church Ghana (Akyem Oda, Ghana: The Methodist Church Ghana).
– (2008), ‘Address to the Methodist Church Ghana Missions II Conference’, (Kumasi, Ghana: Methodist Church Ghana).
– (2008), ‘Presiding Bishop’s 2008, 5th Biennial/43rd Conference Address Delivered at Ebenezer Methodist Cathedral, Winneba’, Winneba Conference (Winneba: Methodist Church Ghana), 1–18.
– (2009), ‘“The World Our Parish”: Christian Mission and the Wesleyan Heritage in a Ghanaian Context’, in Darrell L. Whiteman and Gerald H. Anderson (eds.), World Mission in the Wesleyan Spirit (American Society of Missiology; Franklin, TN: Providence House Publishers).
Accra Mail (2010) ‘Methodist Bishop Blasts Mills’,
You are not authenticated to view the full text of this chapter or article.
This site requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books or journals.
Do you have any questions? Contact us.Or login to access all content.