Peter Lang is a strong advocate for Open Access publication, with over 2,000 Open Access books to date and a strong commitment to continue offering relevant Open Access models. We are happy to support our authors in making their research available to the academic community in this way. We are convinced that to make Open Access work, we need to facilitate constructive communication between researchers, libraries, funding bodies, and publishers and to experiment with new approaches and business models.
Why choose Open Access?
- Accessibility – research becomes freely available digitally as soon as it is published, while the print version will also be made available for sale.
- Discoverability – studies have shown that Open Access publications gain more views, citations and downloads than publications with restricted access.
- Compliance – Open Access publication is increasingly required by funding bodies and a Creative Commons license allows authors to easily comply with funder requirements.
Why choose Peter Lang Open?
- Engagement – increased visibility means more possibilities for public engagement and collaboration.
- Rigour – all Open Access publications will benefit from the same rigorous peer review and editorial assessment process as non-OA titles.
- Support – Open Access authors receive the full benefit of our marketing and distribution services, including flyer creation, digital and conference promotion, and an individual product page on our site.
Please see a list of our recent Open Access books here.
Open Access Models at Peter Lang
We offer both Gold and Green OA publishing options to our book authors.
Gold Open Access
Peter Lang offers authors the option to publish their work Gold Open Access for a fee to be paid by funders. With Gold Open Access, your research will be freely available online for others to read, download and share immediately upon publication and without an embargo period. Books are released under the agreed Creative Commons (CC) license.
Both your print and Open Access publication will benefit from our marketing, distribution and data management services. The Open Access publication will be discoverable on the Peter Lang website, OAPEN, and national research repositories in collaboration with many research funders.
We calculate our Open Access fees individually based on the requested services. Our total fees for Gold are approximately 10,000 CHF / 10,000 EUR / 8,000 GBP, with variations depending on the project and region.
Green Open Access
We also offer our authors the option to publish their work Green Open Access. In this model, the book is published simultaneously as a print and eBook, and the eBook is released Open Access after an embargo period. We are pleased to offer models and rates to fit the needs of authors in their respective national and research contexts.
Please contact us directly (link to contact form) if you would like to discuss publishing your work Open Access.
Our Repository Policy offers authors different solutions to archive and share their work. The full policy can be accessed here.
Discovery Services and Archiving
Metrics and Analytics
For Open Access titles, usage tracking is possible with Counter5-compliant usage statistics. We also provide free and straightforward access to MARC 21 records for all electronic content. We can offer information to authors about how many times their work has been downloaded.
We are listed in SHERPA/RoMEO and SHERPA/FACT to make it easy for researchers to see if our books and journals comply with their funder’s Open Access policy. Our publications have been successfully supported by renowned funders like the Volkswagen Stiftung, FWF and SNSF. We are happy to discuss any specific requirements your funders and institutions might have.
Our Open Access Partners
Peter Lang is a partner of Knowledge Unlatched (KU) and regularly takes part in the KU Select pledging rounds, where a library consortium supports the release of both Gold and Green Open Access titles. Our books are available through their partner platform, the Open Research Library. Read more about the program here.
Peter Lang participated in the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) research study from 2014 to 2016 called the OAPEN-CH pilot project, which supported OA monograph publishing and studied data on usage, sales and costs.
Learn more about this project and its first results here.
Peter Lang also partnered with OGeSoMo, a project aimed at initiating more open access publications in the HSS, funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research in Germany. Read more about the project here.
Further information on our Open Access partners is available at these links:
Funding to publish your work Gold Open Access is available from a wide range of sources, and we are pleased to provide a list of relevant funding opportunities for your information below. Our international editorial team at Peter Lang can support you with this process.
- Academy of Finland
- Kone Foundation
- Federation of Finnish Learned Societies
- Joint Committee for Nordic Research Councils in the Humanities and Social Sciences (NOS-HS)
- Ministry of Education and Culture of Finland
- National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL)
- Business Finland
- FORTE – Swedish Research Council for Health, Working Life and Welfare
- Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation
- Östersjö-Stiftelsen – The Foundation for Baltic and East European Studies
- Ragnar Söderberg Foundation
- Riksbankens Jubileumsfond – The Swedish Foundation for Humanities and Social Sciences
- Swedish Research Council