City of Christian Love
The History and Importance of Nazareth
Table Of Contents
- About the author(s)/editor(s)
- About the book
- This eBook can be cited
- Foreword (Dr. Joseph Prud’homme)
- Preface: Reflections from a Childhood in Transjordan
- Chapter One: Nazareth: The Late Antique and Early Christian Era, 100 B.C.–A.D. 637
- Chapter Two: A Change of Destiny: The Arab Rule, A.D. 637–1099
- Chapter Three: Turbulent Times: Crusades, Ayubids (Saladin) and Mamluks, A.D. 1099–1517
- Chapter Four: Four Hundred Years of Ungracious Occupation: The Ottoman Era, A.D. 1518–1910
- Chapter Five: A Century of Palestinian Pride: The Principality of Dhaher Al-Omar, A.D. 1675–1775
- Chapter Six: Wars and International Crises: Four Leaders in Nazareth, A.D. 1777–1877
- Chapter Seven: The Fall of Nazareth: Its Fall and the Disappearance of Its Records, A.D. 1948–2000
- Signed on July 16, 1948
- The Church of the Annunciation
- The Church of St. Gabriel
- The Old Streets of Nazareth
- St. Joseph’s Church
- Synagogue Church
- The Table of Christ Church
- Chapter Eight: Christians and Muslims Together: Expressions of Cousinship, A.D. 1700–2016
- Series index
1 A painting by Roberts (1796–1864), the minaret of the White Mosque appearing in middle part, from the collection of Dr. Hisham Al-Khatib.
2 A photo of Nazareth in the 1880s, from the collection of the Harvard Semitic Museum. The minaret of the White Mosque clearly appears in the middle of the photo.
3.1 A picture of a Christian Warrior as presented at Sunday Schools in England around perhaps 1850 for the Bible and Prayer Book Lessons.
3.2 Bible and Prayer Book Lessons.
3.3 Artistic representation of Saladin.
3.4 Nineteenth century portrait of Richard the Lionheart by Merry-Joseph Blondel.
4.1 Reports by traveler Henry Maundrell.
4.2 Reports by traveler Henry Maundrell.
4.3 Map from the Reports by traveler Henry Maundrell.
4.4 Reports by traveler Henry Maundrell.
4.5 Reports by traveler Henry Maundrell. ← vii | viii →
4.6 Report by traveler Richard Pococke.
5.1 A painting of Acre, at the start of Dhaher’s rule of Northern Palestine around 1745.
5.2 The Edict signed by Dhaher Al-Omar and given to the Orthodox community in Nazareth in 1741 involving the Orthodox Church of Annunciation.
5.3 The Orthodox Church of St. Gabriel, which was built with Shaikh Dhaher’s firman. Issued in 1741 as it appeared at the start of the twentieth century.
6.1 A print from about the year 1800 shows Al-Jazzar holding court in Acre.
7.1 Map charted out by the Swiss doctor, explorer and historian Titus Tobler.
7.2 Drawing of Nazareth and its environs.
7.3 Generous Jerusalem pottery gift from the YMCA–Jordan after serving for 20 years.
7.4 An order to the Shaikhs of Nazareth registered in the Sijil Al-Fahoumi in 1225 A.H. (A.D. 1809) instructing that the Governor of Shafa, ‘Amre, and the elders of Fuleh ‘Afouleh, are to determine the boundaries between the two villages and the lands of Bilad Hartheh.
7.5 An order from Abdullah Pasha, Governor of Saida, Tripoli and Gaza to Shaikh Abdullah Al-Fahoum in 1244 A.H. (A.D. 1828) to return the property to the inheritors since it was confiscated illegally during the time of Ahmad Al-Jazzar.
7.6 An order issued by Suleiman Pasha the Governor of Saida entered in the Sijil Al-Fahoumi in 1220 A.H. (A.D. 1804) to warn those who take possession of state lands in Fuleh, Nazareth, and Iksal to cease their actions as the lands are the property of the Sultan.
7.7 The Church of the Annunciation.
7.8 The Church of St. Gabriel.
7.9 St. Joseph’s Church.
7.10 Synagogue Church. ← viii | ix →
7.11 Photograph of the Table of Christ Church as shown by Rev. As’ad Mansour on page 140 of his book, The History of Nazareth.
7.12 A most expressive lithograph of Nazareth in 1839 by the famous painter Roberts. Kind courtesy of Dr. Hisham Al-Khatib.
7.13 A painting showing the Virgin Mary’s Spring and the colorful dresses of the people around 1800. (Painter and Source unknown.)
7.14 An old photograph of the Virgin Mary’s Spring in Nazareth. (Source unknown and probably taken around 1880; colored by hand some twenty years later.)
- XVI, 130
- ISBN (PDF)
- ISBN (ePUB)
- ISBN (MOBI)
- ISBN (Hardcover)
- Publication date
- 2017 (May)
- New York, Bern, Berlin, Bruxelles, Frankfurt am Main, Oxford, Wien, 2017. XVI, 130 pp., 30 b/w ill., 12 coloured ill., 1 table