The True Story of an Indigenous-Based Social Transformer
In times of extreme cascading global crises facing humanity, all responsible humans need to re-evaluate the dominant worldview that has brought us to this point of facing extinction. As a species we need to relearn the "good" ways from our greatest allies in Nature and from Indigenous cultures that lived in relative harmony with Nature. Equally, we need to learn the best ways to think critically and act on the holistic understanding that may guide us beyond our individual and collective trance and illusions cast forth like chains upon modern societies through elites who manipulate fear.
Fearless Engagement of Four Arrows offers a unique strong "medicine" for the reconstruction of a healthy, sane, and sustainable future for all. Utilizing the form of an intellectual biography of Four Arrows (aka Dr. Don Trent Jacobs) and his daring activist life and true teaching stories, the author creates a powerful adventure into the firey philosophy, activism, and emancipatory inspirations of one of the world’s great visionary prophetic educators and social transformers. Through a number of unique experiences, including firefighting, white-water kayaking, wild horse training, world-class athletic competitions, and counter-cultural activism, Four Arrows has become a connoisseur of fear and courage. This book shows how he walks a universal ethical path of Fearlessness at a time when too many remain trapped by their fears.
Among other readers, high school teachers and post-secondary teachers across diverse disciplines will find great ideas, eliciting dialogues and study questions for students, who now face a globalizing world where they can take charge of the future via fearless engagement.
Currency depends on your shipping address
- New York, Bern, Berlin, Bruxelles, Vienna, Oxford, Wien, 2018. XXII, 338 pp., 15 b/w ill.
- About the author(s)/editor(s)
- About the book
- Advance Praise for Fearless Engagement of Four Arrows
- This eBook can be cited
- Opening Prayer
- Table of Contents
- Photographs and Figures
- Foreword: On Being a Warrior (Shirley R. Steinberg)
- CAT-FAWN Connection: Fear Management Up-Graded
- Evolution: Sense of History, Development and Progress
- Transpersonal Lineage(s)
- Suggestions on How to Engage with This Book
- Part I. Fearless
- 1. Fearless Waters Deep
- Big Picture: What Road Shall We Take?
- Big Picture: Extreme Challenges, Lessons, Solutions
- Beginning Deep
- “Wild Undertakings”
- 2. “Walking a Path of Harmony”
- Performing and Writing Fearless as Beyond
- Performing Fearless Presence: The Peaceful Way
- From Human Nature to “Wild” Nature: Finding the Best Teachers
- Four Arrows’ Explicit Uses of “Fearless”
- “Outlaw” Scholar-Activist at the Extreme
- 3. Radicalization of a Moralist
- Peace and War: Wearing a “Velvet Glove”
- Life-Transforming Event(s) and Choices
- Who I Am(?)
- Part I Study Questions and Practices
- Part II. Fearlessness
- 4. CAT-Nature as (Com)passionate Gifting
- Lunar (and Feminine) Side of Fearlessness
- “Loving Fearlessness”
- A Germane Truth of the 21st Century Context: The Anthropocene
- Sanctuary of the Heart and Soul of Nature
- Fear Management 101: Biophilia and the Feminine Reconstruction
- 5. Dancing in/with the Spirit of Fearlessness
- The 2027 Visionary Conference on Fearlessness
- Four Arrows’ Uses and Discourse(s) of “Fearlessness”
- Part II Study Questions and Practices
- Part III. Courage(ous)
- 6. Radical Honesty: Harnessing the Magic of Fear
- Protecting the “Connoisseur of Fear” Conception
- Olympic Bound: Fencing on the Edge
- A Certain “Crazy”: Practicing Radical Honesty
- Sanity: Riding “Windhorse”
- 7. Befriending the “Gift of Fear”
- What Is Physical Courage?
- Part III Study Questions and Practices
- Part IV. Brave(ry)
- 8. The Bronco and the Boat
- Brave Arising
- Making Brave(s) Not War
- Part IV Study Questions and Practices
- Epilogue by Four Arrows
- Make the Best of It
- Appendix: The CAT-FAWN Model (adapted from Jacobs, 1998)
- Series index
About the author(s)/editor(s)
R. MICHAEL FISHER has a Ph.D. in curriculum and instruction and a masters of adult education from The University of British Columbia. He is the founder of the In Search of Fearlessness Project and Research Institute. Fisher is the author of hundreds of published articles, as well as book chapters and monographs, focusing on the topics of education, fear, and fearlessness. His two prior books are leading-edge explorations: The World’s Fearlessness Teachings (2010) and Philosophy of Fearism (2016).
You are not authenticated to view the full text of this chapter or article.
This site requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books or journals.
Do you have any questions? Contact us.Or login to access all content.