Connecting Composing Strategies, Digital Literacies, and Disciplinary Content to the Common Core
Edited By Jenifer Jasinski Schneider
2. Exploring Identity through Word Choice: Using Multicultural Literature to Create Connections (Kindergarten)
SUSAN V. BENNETT AND ANNMARIE ALBERTON GUNN
Ms. Strain selected a piece of multicultural literature to engage and motivate her students. To connect literature and writing, Ms. Strain focused on the theme of the book—the value of one’s name—and she emphasized character traits through word choice and technology integration.
• Kindergarten inclusion classroom
• Title I public school, 79% free and/or reduced
○ 69% English language learners, 90% of those students Spanish speaking
○ 88% of the teachers are White, 8% Black, 4% Latino/Latina
You are not authenticated to view the full text of this chapter or article.
This site requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books or journals.
Do you have any questions? Contact us.Or login to access all content.