The Story of the American Sellout
Privatization of America’s Public Institutions describes the transformation of the military, K–12 public schools, public universities and colleges, and prisons into enterprises focused on generating profits for a select few. In many cases, privatization has limited accessibility, promoted segregation, fueled declining standards, increased costs, and reduced quality.
Currency depends on your shipping address
- New York, Bern, Berlin, Bruxelles, Vienna, Oxford, Wien, 2019. XVIII, 172 pp., 5 b/w ill., 25 tbl.
- About the author
- About the book
- Praise for Privatization of America’s Public Institutions
- This eBook can be cited
- Introduction: Public or Private?
- Format of the Book
- Chapter 1. Privatizing the Military: Profiting from the Carnage of War
- Seven Facts About the Privatization of the Military
- An Inundation of Private Contractors
- Mind-boggling Amounts of Money
- Private Contractors and Soldiers
- An Interview with Tim Briscoe, Former Soldier and PSC (Private Security Contractor)
- False Assumptions
- Consequences of Privatizing the Military
- The Control of Force
- Chapter 2. Privatizing Corrections: Making Money from Misery
- The Criminal Justice Systems of America
- The Incarcerated
- Crime and Punishment
- Juvenile Justice
- Differences in Public and Private Incarceration
- Interview with Sabrina and Torrence Cole, Private Prison Guards
- Private Prisons for Immigrants
- Consequences of Privatizing Corrections
- New Directions
- Chapter 3. Privatizing K–12 Public Education: How the Profit Motive Is Changing Schools
- The Chosen
- Fealty and Filtering
- The Transmogrification of Charter Schools
- The New Segregation
- Interview with Parent Zabrina Carlson Tipton
- Education Savings Accounts and Tax Credit Scholarships
- Consequences of Privatizing K–12 Public Schools
- Selective, Sectarian, and Less Free
- Chapter 4. Privatizing Public Higher Education: Selling Off the Alma Mater
- Outsourced Services
- Profit-centered Decision Making
- Circumventing Colleges and Universities
- Interview with Kelly Feille, Former Teacher Candidate
- Quality in Higher Education
- Consequences of Privatizing Public Higher Education
- The Right Time for a Turnaround
- Chapter 5. American Sellout
- Perils of a “Look the Other Way” Government
- The New World of Privatized Public Institutions
- Governmental Responsibility
This eBook can be cited
This edition of the eBook can be cited. To enable this we have marked the start and end of a page. In cases where a word straddles a page break, the marker is placed inside the word at exactly the same position as in the physical book. This means that occasionally a word might be bifurcated by this marker.
You are not authenticated to view the full text of this chapter or article.
This site requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books or journals.
Do you have any questions? Contact us.Or login to access all content.